Tuesday, May 8, 2012

1940 Census & Dirt Track

Things have been quite busy for me lately. I have decided to help index the 1940 census that was released April 2nd. It is called the 1940 U.S. Census Community Project. Anyone can do it and it is not hard to learn.


It took me a couple of days to decide that I wanted to do it, mainly because I wasn't real sure about the downloading and how much room it would take up on the computer. I asked Chris and he said it would be fine. So now I am addicted to indexing. I can't wait to get home everyday and start indexing. I have even let some of my television shows go. I believe I am up to about 1,000 people indexed.
One of the main reasons I started it was to help my father in his venture to find his birth mother and brother. I figured if I started indexing it would help get the State of Alabama done faster. As of now there are a couple of states that you can search by name. The other states that are in the process of being indexed, you can only search for addresses. Once you have an address, you then can look for names. We do have a couple of addresses for his mother, but I have not been able to find her name. Plus there were only 100+ thousands of people in Birmingham in 1940.

This past Friday night I went to the Talladega Short Track. I have an aunt who dates a guy that races dirt track. It was the first time I had ever been there and I was quite shocked! Dirt is everywhere (never wear white), the fences look like they need repair, more fences need to be added and the cars are sideways when they come around the corner. Plus it is loud! I know it sounds like I am complaining....but I really am not. I had such a good time. I was able to see the pits, see where the drivers get ready and watch them line up. It really is different than the NASCAR races that I have been to. I really liked dirt track better because I can see around the whole track and watch each driver and their moves. Plus they don't race many laps, so I don't get board. I can't wait to go back!


Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...