Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Adoption Story

I can never figure out how to start these post! So here goes...

My dad was adopted when he was around 2-3 years old. He has known for many years that he was adopted, so it is no secret to talk about it with him. As like some other people do, dad wants to find his birth mother and a brother he was told he has. There are a few things we are not sure about. Some things people have said and we have proven them wrong, so it is a weird situation.

Chris did a lot of research and we were able to request dads adoption records from Montgomery. Most of the information we thought would be new to him, wasn't. So we were kinda in a holding place until we could request more information. Well we didn't have enough information to get the stuff we needed and had hit a brick wall. Plus the lady at Alabama Vital Statistics was rude to me. Telling me 5 times what a sealed record was. I believe at this time in the game, I know what a sealed file is. Then came the 1940 census and my knowledge of the website familysearch.org. I started doing more research on the website and came across a name and birthday that might be his mother. (As you notice, I put might, because we are not 100% sure). There were many late nights searching the Internet. From there it has taken me to a family which could be his mother's family. I have found so many possible family members until it is unreal. We are at another stand still until more concrete information (marriage, divorce, death records) is found.

I am excited and nervous at the same time. Chris and I are excited to hopefully give dad a great gift. I could have an uncle and grandmother still living. Plus there could have been more children born after the adoption. A whole new family could be just minutes away.
Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...