Monday, October 10, 2011

Stinkhorn Mushrooms

Well our snake eggs are not snake eggs. They are Stinkhorn mushrooms. I wrote about them here.

Friday evening when I got home I saw this weird thing sticking out of the mulch bed, so in my curious nature, I go over to check it out. I get a stick and start poking around and it moves!! So I  freak out and call my mom, because Chris is at work at this time. I go and get a hoe and start moving these white things, stilling thinking they are snake eggs. I found 22. At this point I was saying, "Oh my gosh mom there are 22 of them." She tells me to get in the house and call Chris and let him know. Now I am worried we have an infestation of snakes.
I told her that I was going to check these things out online and see what snake eggs really look like. I get online and start looking, they look nothing like snake eggs. So I start reading some forums and people were saying they had the same things in their yards and they were calling them Stinkhorn Mushrooms. They have an awful smell! According to what I read, the black part contains spores and that is what causes the horrible smell. Flies can carry the spores and multiply the mushrooms. That is just great!
I sent Chris a message and told him what I found. We looked up how to remove them and are in the process of getting rid of them. We plan on removing the mulch and replacing it with pea gravel.

Sunday morning I looked out to see about them and there were four more. Three were coming out of the mulch and one was coming out of its shell. So I get a shovel and fill a Walmart bag full of them.

Here is a picture of what they look like once they have come out of their shells.


Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...