Monday, May 9, 2011

Helping Tornado Victims

Saturday I joined Aunt Amy, Uncle Randy, Mawmaw and a few other people from Clay County at Oak Grove Baptist Church in Calhoun County. Uncle Randy wanted to help feed the volunteers and victims that were affected by the tornado. I think we served over 300 plates. We ran out of ham and join up with another team who had chicken and fixed more plates. After we got through with the food, we went out and handed out water to those that were working in yards and utility workers.



I am not going to post many pictures, because I just don't think it is very respectable. 
Below is an older gentleman who really touched my heart. He never complained about losing anything or having to replace anything. He said all that stuff is not important, it is your life that is important. Instead of us sharing God's love to him, he shared it with us. He handed out little Bibles as we walked around his property. When we started to leave something was telling me to turn around and hug him. So I turned around and give him a small simple hug and told him to stay safe. I never got his name, but he was special.



We also meet this other lady who lost everything. The only thing left was the slab under their home. After the tornado they tried to find their bedroom furniture and only found pieces of it. They were only able to save the small stuff she said. They were staying in a RV for the time being. She said she had parked her car in the carport so it would not have any hail damage and when she found it all the windows were blown out.
I am so glad that I went. My part was very small, but I just hope that it made a difference in someones life. :) I have a piece of wood that is in my car, to remind me that it is not about what we have but who we have.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...